Random Projects and Comments

Home Archive for category "Logging Data"

Skiing Data

The first trip I took the data logger proved that for some reason there is an error that stops it from logging after about an hour and a half. Since I powered it up before leaving home it had stopped before getting to the mountain. Went out again yesterday and this time powered up the logger in the parking lot and actually got some data! It did stop again after about an hour and a half so I only captured the first three runs. I did reset the main processor at lunch, but it did not start back up so I am guessing it is something on the sensor processor which does narrow down the issue at least.
The detail was good, especially after the initial run, I’m guessing it locked some additional satellites once I reached the top of the mountain, as the initial chair lift up track has about 20ft error the west. The one of the tracks does show crossing the trail to stop show above. I want to get the timestamps and speed working next, and hopefully figure out why it stops after an hour and a half.


More Data!

Was able to get everything working enough to record some tracks today. The box I used was a bit larger then I would like but it’s the only thing I could find. The tracks came out pretty good as far as accuracy, and it does not appear that it dropped any points.  Still do not have the timestamps working so I can’t be 100% sure on that last part.   It did create three different files indicating that the main uC reset for some reason, though it did recover.
There is some issue with my GPX library, I think strings have some additional overhead in the new version of arduino which is causing problems.  I was working on converting things to using pgmprint and char*s anyways so I will keep moving forward with that.  I’m going to add some switches, secure the box some more and try again tomorrow.

© Ryan M Sutton, 2015